Sunday, November 17, 2002

Just one of the many ways that the internet is making me dumber.
I was driving to Chinatown last night to meet up with two design superstars (whose names I can't even bring myself to mention), who we will be entertaining all week at the death star. Now, I've lived in Los Angeles for a long time, but I rarely make it over to Chinatown, mostly because there really isn't much there that you can't get elsewhere in this hugemongous city.

Since my income does not allow me to own an in-dash dvd navigation system or a live-in sherpa, I must consult mapquest or mapblast! (my preferred choice, they seem a little more excitable, i don't know what it is about them) for driving directions when I'm going somewhere I'm unfamiliar with. Easy peasy, you type in the starting point (usually home or work), and your destination (usually someplace that is not home or work), and it spits out turn-by-turn directions which you can print out and consult as you're driving.

This is all fine and dandy, but if you're like me, and you've printed out directions for every place that you've driven to in the past few years, you'll notice a couple of things:
1) It's dangerous. Last night, while driving at 85mph talking on the phone and scrolling through thousands of songs on the iPod, I momentarily misplaced my sheet of driving directions among the several thousand others I have in my car from all the other places I've driven in the past few years, and realized that maybe I was multi-tasking a little too much.
2) You lose all sense of direction. I know i've printed out directions to chinatown at least 3 times and by that rationale, I should know that it's off the hill street exit on the 110, but since it's become so fricking easy, you just don't pay attention anymore.

Oh well, fuck it.